Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook is seeking a Linux Kernel Software Engineer to join our Kernel team. The Facebook kernel team is responsible for developing fixes and new features that are primarily driven by internal needs and emerging industry trends. As a member of that team, you will play an integral role in improving kernel stability, performance, observability, and manageability. Additionally, you will help work with the wider Linux community including upstream developers, vendors, and optionally conferences. This position is full-time.
- Work with other teams to understand their kernel needs and develop solutions.
- Triage, investigate, and resolve primarily kernel related performance or stability issues.
- Build and/or support user space libraries and tools related to the kernel work.
- Advocate best practices with other engineers when it comes to kernel usage, deployment, tuning parameters, etc.
- Backport or develop solutions for 1-2 kernel releases. We prefer code being in mainline.
- Help improve our automated testing infrastructure.
- Be a part of the kernel release process, helping it run smoothly.
- Occasionally participate in TPM led projects that are kernel focused.
- Communicate and interact with upstream maintainers.
- Occasional conferences, particularly things like LPC/LFS/MM.
- Knowledge of low-level operating system and hardware primitives.
- Scripting (Python, Bash, etc.) experience.
- Expertise programming with C or C++.
- Experience using kernel perf and/or tracing tools for resolving performance issues.
- Solid troubleshooting and debugging skills.
- Proven communications skills.
- Experience working with and contributing to Open Source communities.
- Familiarity with multiple layers of the Linux stack (hardware, kernel, user space, etc.).
- Experience working at very large scale (> 10,000 servers).
- Experience presenting to technical audiences at conferences.
- Experience with one or more of the technologies our partner teams own (containers, RPC, databases, etc.).
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Founded in 2012, ByteDance is a technology company operating a range of content platforms that inform, educate, entertain and inspire people across languages, cultures, and geographies. With a suite of more than a dozen products, including TikTok, Douyin, Toutiao, Helo, and Resso, ByteDance now has a portfolio of applications available in over 150 markets and 75 languages.
• Follow the Linux kernel community and support analysis and fixing bugs
• Capture and synthesize the needs of product teams, and develop kernel features accordingly
• Explore and work with industry-leading technology and hardware
• BS or above degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
• Proficiency with at least one modern programming language such as Golang, C/C++, Python
• Deep understanding of operating systems. Familiar with at least one subsystems among MM, scheduler, filesystem, network, and group
• Familiar with various debugging tools (perf, systemtap, ebpf). Have the ability and experience to resolve performance issues in a timely manner
• Strong experience in hunting bugs (e.g. softlockup, deadlock, panic, and oom)
• A mind with creativity and a fast learner of new technology
• Cloud industry experience
• A history of participation in Linux kernel mailing lists is a plus
ByteDance is committed to creating an inclusive space where employees are valued for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. Our platform connects people from across the globe and so does our workplace. At ByteDance, our mission is to inspire creativity and enrich life. To achieve that goal, we are committed to celebrating our diverse voices and to creating an environment that reflects the many communities we reach. We believe individuals shouldn’t be disadvantaged because of their background or identity, but instead should be considered based on their strengths and experience. We are passionate about this and hope you are too.